Friday, January 12, 2007

Route 66

Tuesday I had an amazing opportunity to sit in on Route 66, a conference that travels Europe, speaking on youth ministry. We had 4 key speakers that came and covered different aspects of youth ministry. I was particularly touched by the 3rd speaker, Dave Wright, who spoke to us on "Authentic Biblical Community". I took notes all day, but as I've gone back through them, I see that I took clearer notes during this session. So I thought I would share them with you, as I wrote them. I may add to them for clarification, but for the most part, this is what I processed as I listened.

Koinonia...
A group
A misunderstood word
A powerful way of relating

Authentic Biblical Community
1. Starts with Scripture rather than experience
2. Expects supernatural transformation *We are not meant to grow alone*
3. It's not about us, it's only about God.

The Call to Community
Starts in Genesis 1- The Trinity created the world.
John 17:21 "That they all may be one, as You Father are in Me, and I in You;"
Ephesians 4:2 "...with all the lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love., endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."
Acts 2:42-47 describes the early church and gives us a wonderful illustration of what an authentic Biblical community should look like.

In todays church...

The Culture of Care
1. Welcoming people
2. Building healthy relationships
3. Develop spiritual friendships
4. Conflict resolution, forgiveness, reconciliation
*It's all about loving each other*

The Body Provides
1. Discipline and Structure
2. Accountability
3. Grace and Forgiveness
4. Support and Strength

The Body is where we
-Mentor
-Grieve
-Heal
-Confront
-Speak truth
-Model
-Disciple

The Power of Authentic Community
*Transforms lives
*fertile soil for evangelism and discipleship
*Fosters living as we were meant to live

Indicators of a group that understands and seeks authentic community...
-Spiritual conversations are natural and spontaneous
-Groups become inclusive socially
-More integration in the whole of the church
-More service in the community
-Encouragement and accountability in spiritual discipline
-More leadership
-More vulnerability in hearts

Obstacles in today's church
-Few models of it (kids faith reflects their parents)
-Programs don't foster it (games, focus, room arrangement, etc.)
-Apathy
-Too much focus on conversion, decision
-Overemphasis on relational ministry (kids attending simply because they adore the leader)
-Catering to consumerism
-'Fun' drives the program (if you aim simply to have fun, that's all you'll get)
-Entertainment driven models
-Authentic community has never been experienced

Community Killers
- Cliques
- Cronyism (only looking out for your friends)
- Competition (can be healthy, but can also be deadly)
- Consumerism

Thats where my notes end. But my thought process did not end there. I began thinking of how this works in "big" church, in youth ministries, in children's programs. I then held my current church home up to these standards, and I whole heartedly believe that at The Rock Eternal, authentic Biblical community not only exists, but is continuously growing and improving. I realized before I left that I had a great church family. It's no doubt that RE has some amazing people attending, but this session confirmed for me that it's a community of believers as God intended. He wants us to grow closer to Him as a community. Yes, it's important to have a one on one relationship with Christ. But He never intended for us to be alone in this world. We need the companionship, the accountability, the friendship of other believers. We are a body. We all work together for His glory. What a wonderful reminder that we are not alone. I am not alone.

Be blessed my loved ones.

1 comment:

Lisa Sullivan said...

I love this! Now, I just need to find a church that experiences the values of these teachings. I might be there, too. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Luv ya!